Friday, July 27, 2007

Leaving for Newfounland

I am on my way to conquer the Rock! The Canadian Rock that is, bigger, colder, but yet more hospital they say. Other than a minor passport panic on my part Wednesday evening, the trip here has been pretty uneventful.

Embarrassing story #1 (first of many to come I'm sure):

We land at Deer Lake airport at around 2:00 am local time, groggy and bleary eyed. (For some reason Newfoundland time is 1 1/2 hours ahead of Eastern Time. Don't get that at all, must research why later.) Our plane was full however so there were a lot of people milling about the baggage carousel. Shannon and I got our bags and were waiting for our bike boxes. The baggage crew finally opened a side door and loaded some bike boxes on the other side of the carousel. As we made our way across the crowd, I saw a guy rolling a bike box that looked exactly like my box. So I asked him, "Is that your bike or mine?" He lifted the bike box to reveal an Ironman sticker on the bottom of his box. "I'm pretty sure it's mine." Yeah. That's definitely his alright. How totally embarrassing. He must have thought I was a total ditz!

Sure enough they kept pulling out bike boxes through that door. I've never seen so many bike boxes at the airport. Or so many bad ass people claiming them. This is going to be an interesting race indeed.

No comments: